I have always wanted to give back to my
Alma Mater, the University of the Philippines Manila, the institution
that imbibed in me academic excellence, freedom coupled with
responsibility, and spirit of service. My batch mates and I actually
made a pact to go back to U.P. after some years of practicing the
professions we want to have in the corporate world, in order to pursue the noble path
of teaching.
Our professors surely played a big role
in this dream of ours to become professors in any U.P. unit in the
future. I remember several teachers of ours relate how grateful they
were with the education they were receiving while they were still
young students. And how much they also aspired to return the favor to
the state university by re-entering it for a Teaching Post.
Now that I am freer, schedule-wise, I
am set to study again as I take the master's program in Development
Communication this academic year here at U.P. Cebu through the U.P.
Open University (UPOU). Much as I wanted to get a scholarship, the
limited number of slots available posed as a big hurdle for me not to be granted
one. Now I know I must work doubly hard to make sure that I have
enough monetary support to pursue graduate studies. Special thanks to
my godmother, Lyn, and to my uncle, Al, who both agreed to send over
some student loan just so I could go ahead with the enrollment this
first semester. I am hopeful that this master's program I will be
taking will pave the way to re-enter the university as a future
educator.
It felt good visiting the U.P. Cebu campus the other day and meeting the local coordinator of UPOU at the College of Arts and Sciences building. It felt good being in familiar terrain once again --- seeing the Oblation, the U.P. seal, the org nooks and 'tambayans', the 'traditional' classrooms, and comfort rooms --- all with that familiar U.P. trademark i.e. vintage.
Right now, I am reading a primer
entitled , “The Meaning of U.P. Education.” I wish to learn from
it well and hopefully enrich and help others grow in and through what
I will be discovering from it. What does it mean to have a U.P. Education? As former U.P. Chancellor Emerlinda R. Roman put it, "... U.P. education should be oriented towards preparing students to become self-reliant, to become leaders. It should be geared towards social transformation and the preservation of the Filipino element in the country's culture."
Whatever may result from
studying this master's program, and eventually finishing it, God
willing, I know I'd be equipped to serve in any place God would want
me to be.
Maybe going back to U.P. to teach would
be more than just fulfilling the dream my batch mates and I had.
Maybe deciding to work and teach in U.P. would reflect what it means
to be a product of this state university.
For more information about taking graduate studies at the University of the Philippines, please visit www.upou.edu.ph.
For more information about taking graduate studies at the University of the Philippines, please visit www.upou.edu.ph.

No comments:
Post a Comment