![]() |
| On our way to Guimaras, with Ate Tess, Tito Eng and Tetet. |
Last Holy Wednesday, my trip date to Iloilo City, I thought of calling up Trans-Asia Shipping Lines once more to check on the actual availability of tickets just 4 hours before the set departure time at 6:00 pm. I actually called up a week before to inquire about the rates and the schedules. So on the trip date itself, after making that call, I was told that there were only 27 tickets left for the economy class i.e. open air accommodation for the 12-hour boat ride! Hearing that, I immediately turned off my desktop computer, wished my officemates a meaningful Holy Week and headed for the port with my backpack. I was praying hard I could reach Pier Cuatro here in Cebu City by 3 pm to secure a ticket. I needed to make this trip to know the condition of my aunt and uncle (siblings of my father) who both had a stroke some years ago, and who are both getting on in years, living apart in far-flung farms outside the city proper. I was fortunate not to get caught in traffic and managed to reach the port 10 minutes before 3 o'clock! What is more, I was helped a lot by the porter who secured a ticket for me since the ticketing area was quite far from where cabs had to bring down passengers. For that, I am really grateful.
The 12-hour boat trip wasn't that bad. Even if another tropical storm was threatening to enter the country that same night, I was somehow at peace with the rest of the passengers (which numbered perhaps a thousand!) most of whom are headed to beaches where they will be spending the Holy Week. I happened to share the bunk bed with a mother of a big family who told me that they were in fact going to Boracay. In the course of our conversation, I managed to remind her to attend the Holy Week services there and gave her a stampita of the Holy Family with a Prayer for the Family printed on it. She was grateful for the reminder and the stampita.
![]() |
| With Ate Tess and family |
![]() |
| With Tito Uy and Auntie Inday in Lambunao |
![]() |
| St. Julian's Church in Janiuay, Iloilo |
I'd like to chronicle here how we spent Holy Week this year.
Holy Thursday: We attended the services at St. Julian's Church in Janiuay, Iloilo, my father's hometown.
Good Friday: We had a penitential 'adventure' to nearby Guimaras Island (10-15 minutes of boat ride from Iloilo), doing a two-kilometer trek to the peak of Balaan Bukid, where a big Cross is situated, and where a Shrine of Our Lady had been built. We attended Good Friday Services at the Trappist Monastery which is also where we did the Way of the Cross.
Holy Saturday: I went to Passi City to help locate the house of Lucia, one of my sisters in Tawili, whose mother passed away, the wake of whom is being held in their house up till Easter Friday.
This recent trip to Iloilo, with a bonus trip to Guimaras! --- is one I will always remember with a lot of joy and gratitude. While I missed my sisters here in Cebu during the Holy Week, I know that we were all united with the special Communion of Saints which we have always lived and believed as Catholics.
![]() |
| The Ave Maria Shrine on top of Balaan Bukid in Guimaras |
One thing is for sure, Christ looks after you and me. This is the secret we hold as a people who have been given the gift of Faith. It is an 'open' secret that is meant to be shared to all mankind.
Happy Easter everyone!






No comments:
Post a Comment