Friday, October 2, 2015

Braving the Heat and the Cold in West and Central Java, Indonesia

Arriving at Villa Deogratias, Lembang, Bandung, Indonesia
As early as July this year, eight ladies who frequent our study center here in Cebu have already booked themselves to fly from here to Manila to Jakarta and to Lembang, Bandung in the province of West Java, Indonesia, to attend a yearly activity. I never expected  that I'd be joining them since I only received word that I'd be making this trip, too, in early August!

We were delighted to travel together, but not without any hitches, that is. I could well chronicle here the difficulties we all went through together. But more than that, what stands out are the positive events that unfolded during our trip. 


I was with the following participants from the Philippines: Beth L., Joy B., Nenette M., Jenny C., Rorie S., Evita L., Girlie R., Chi-Chi R., Iris B., Maricar L., Angelyn L., Gold V., Tina E., Miho P. . From Jakarta: Bea Z., Nancy T., Ivy T., Maricel P., Marivic T.,  Riza J., Lucia H., Lusyanti H., Geline B., Septiana, Suyi, Katiana, Tina, Erna, and Colette. I am so grateful to Christine for facilitating our trip via regular coordination through email and Viber. Thanks to Pak Udin, Pak Imam, Pak Deni who helped us with the transportation and hotel stay.

It was such a good experience to travel and meet and talk to the locals. Plus eat their kind of food, too! What's more, I never thought I'd be learning Bahasa quite fast. Maybe I was just so receptive so as not to get lost and for me to be able to know my way around. During our visit to Plaza Indonesia in Central Jakarta, I made sure to buy a post card for my parents. And thanks to Nenette, we found the post office (Filateli) where I happily sent the post card bound for Canada! I thought it was a good and creative way to remember the trip and share it with my loved ones.

The Gereja Katedral in Central Jakarta
If given another chance next year, I think I will be glad to go back to Indonesia and learn Bahasa more and better. We all look like Indonesians anyway, and can live as one more person among the locals --- be it in Surabaya, where we now have a center, or in Jakarta, where we hope to soon have one. 

Even with the delayed flight schedules, this trip is still worth it! I can only look back and be grateful. As they say in Bahasa, "Terima kasih!"

No comments:

Post a Comment