![]() |
| The 1986 EDSA People Power Revolution Photo credits www.kapitankokak.blogspot.com |
Even if the years that followed proved to be both promising and frustrating, I continue to revel in the fact that I come from a people who knew what it was to live through a dictatorship and come out of it advocating peace, in spite of the wounds it has inflicted on so many people, and on so many families. When I passed the UPCAT and formed part of the group called, "Mga Iskolar ng Bayan," I became more sensitive about the values that go with patriotism. Yes, I joined rallies and was happy doing it. I was happy going to Mendiola to support a cause I believe was worth defending. I felt indebted to all our fellow Filipinos who sacrificed their lives for us to enjoy the freedom we have now. And I felt obliged to defend this very same freedom when a seeming dictatorship threatens to wrest it from us again.![]() |
| With my UP Cebu mentee, Korina |
With the UP education I continue to cherish, and with the UP education my mentee continues to have, I wish that somehow, in some way, the idealism I still have will ignite in her a willing response to be that Iskolar ng Bayan our country can truly be proud of. In spite of everything, I still believe that the Filipino is truly worth dying for.
After 1986, I am happy to celebrate my birthday side by side with EDSA's. It has its own perks, you know, like spending a good, long weekend this year.
Note: This is my official entry to Philippine Daily Inquirer's #OurEdsa Essay + Selfie Contest, 30 Years of EDSA.


No comments:
Post a Comment